House Writer - (August 2010 - August 2015) - Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams, Columbus, Ohio
- Cultivated and maintained the voice of the company through all channels of communication
- Worked closely with founder and creative director Jeni Britton Bauer's Art + Design Team to develop quarterly campaigns
- Worked in tandem with Jeni’s graphic designers to execute advertisements (digital and print); brochures; catalogs; emails to subscriber base; seasonal store décor; and signage for scoop shops and 2,000 U.S. groceries stocking Jeni’s pints
- Gathered and processed information to write lively, factually sound copy for simultaneous projects
- Wrote concise scripts for scoop shop employees to describe ice cream flavors to customers
- Wrote detailed local and national press releases (for distribution through New York-based p.r. company)
- Generated original content to be shared through Jeni’s social media channels
- Copy edited New York Times bestseller/James Beard Award-winner Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams at Home (2011); Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream Desserts (2013).
Pop Music Critic and Features Reporter - (1997 - 2009) - The Columbus Dispatch, Columbus, Ohio
- Oversaw music coverage for daily major metropolitan newspaper
- Planned and organized Weekender entertainment guide
- Created and maintained Dispatch database of concerts
- Generated articles for every Dispatch section (Science; Food; Business; Arts; Health; Sports; News; Lifestyle)
- Collaborated with entire Dispatch staff (reporters; editors; assistants; managers; advertisers; photographers; artists; Dispatch.com video and audio engineers)
- Produced articles that garnered international coverage
- Reviewed more than 500 concerts on deadline (between 11:30 p.m. and 1 a.m.)
- Interviewed hundreds of renowned musicians as well as hundreds of unsung central Ohioans of various ages and socio-economic backgrounds
- Cultivated crucial relationships with nationwide contacts and Dispatch readers
- Recruited and oversaw eight freelance writers
- Bolstered Dispatch brand with blog and audio-visual presentations
- Represented Dispatch at Ohio universities and TV and radio stations (Q&A sessions and interviews)
Additional Writing Experience - (1994 - on-going) - Freelance
Salami Dreamin': a limited edition artist's book (I wrote it; Michelle Maguire built it) 614 Magazine; Irvin Public Relations; PDG Communications; Senior Times; Columbus Monthly; Today’s Columbus Woman; Ohio Publishing; Ohio Magazine; Everybody’s News (Cincinnati, Ohio); Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden; Campus Weekly (Lafayette, Indiana)
- 614: back page column
- Irvin P.R. and PDG Communications: wrote press releases for major central Ohio events
- Newspapers and magazines: generated range of original content (how-to articles, pop culture features and profiles, history and current events; travel and tourism; student affairs); copy edited and fact-checked stories
- Cincinnati Zoo: contributed to newsletter; wrote species descriptions for exhibit labels
Senior Writer - (September 2015 - February 2017) - Ologie, Columbus, Ohio
At Ologie, I helped universities share their stories. Duties included copywriting for undergraduate view books; campus advertising; brand guideline development and execution; copywriting for capital campaigns (fundraising); PSA writing for national radio ads; institution naming projects; interviewing a range of university officials, affiliates, alumni, and stakeholders; and presenting work to clients.
Clients included: Tulane University; Haverford College; University at Buffalo; Virginia Tech University; Manhattan College; Icahn School of Medicine; Indiana University; ProMusica Chamber Orchestra; Columbus State Community College; and Columbus College of Art and Design.
Copywriter - (February 2017 - Present) - Bath & Body Works
As a key member of the direct marketing creative team, I help cultivate, share, and elevate the brand voice of Bath & Body Works — a.k.a "America’s Favorite Fragrances." Here, I create and ensure consistency between written and visual messages and write copy that consistently inspires our target customers and attracts new ones. None of my fast-paced, detail-oriented work comes to life in a silo. Every day, I efficiently work alongside designers, strategists, merchants, and business developers to quickly execute our collective ideas across multiple marketing channels. It's work that's inspiring, challenging, and, yes, fun.
Communication, History, Horticulture, B.A. - Purdue University
Creative copywriter, reporter, researcher, and interviewer with extensive writing, editing, and marketing experience. Excels at writing clearly, expressively, and originally about a wide range of people, products, and places. Enthusiastically collaborates daily with a variety of people while working on multiple projects on deadline.
- Best Feature Writing, Press Club of Cleveland (1998; 2005)
- Best Rock and Roll Commentary, Society of Professional Journalists (2009)
- Multiple in-house writing awards, The Columbus Dispatch (1998 through 2009)